February 7, 2018
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are the nation’s longest-running and most prestigious recognition program for creative teens in grades 7–12.
This year, students submitted more than 330,000 works of visual art and writing to the Scholastic Awards; more than 90,000 works were recognized at the regional level and celebrated in local exhibitions and ceremonies. The top art and writing at the regional level were moved onto the national stage, where more than 2,700 works earned National Medals. National Medalists and their educators will be celebrated at the National Ceremony at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
National Medalist art and writing is displayed during the annual Art.Write.Now. National Exhibition in New York City. Last year the exhibit was on display at the Sheila C. Johnson Design Center at Parsons School of Design at The New School and at Pratt Institute’s Pratt Manhattan Gallery. We also hold ongoing exhibitions at the U.S. Department of Education and the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities through the Art.Write.Now.DC program. In addition, selections from the Art.Write.Now. National Exhibition are displayed in cities across the U.S. as part of the Art.Write.Now.Tour.
Here are the SWHS Southeast Region Awards for Scholastics:
Scholastics Art and Writing Awards 2018
South Walton HS
Teacher: V. Moreira Komando
- Jenna Adelman - Silver Key Art Portfolio Asian Pop Culture Foods South Walton High School
- Michelle Couvillon - Honorable Mention Photography My Eyes South Walton High School
- Summer Edwards - Honorable Mention Photography Geode South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Gold Key Photography Speed of light South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Silver Key Photography Shine South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Silver Key Photography Bug Out South Walton High School
- Meg Kirwan - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration The Storm South Walton High School
- Frida Licona - Honorable Mention Photography Light and Lines South Walton High School
- Sofia Papagni - Silver Key Painting Comfort #1 South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Digital Art Fracture South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Gold Key Photography Drama South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Photography Hawk Girl South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Photography Youth South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Silver Key Photography Thor South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Car Tire Red South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Raw Engine South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Red Truck South Walton High School
- Jennings Seton - Silver Key Photography Bloom South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Art Portfolio Starry Starry Night South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Photography Outer Bulge South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Photography Dividing Line South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Silver Key Photography Blue South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Silver Key Photography Yellow South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Art Portfolio Self Portrait South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration My Red Yellow Hair South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration My Flower with Hair South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Silver Key Drawing & Illustration My Deer Head South Walton High School
- Sofia Papagni - Silver Key Poetry Campfires, Caskets, Hurricanes South Walton High School
Congratulations to these creative young students and their exceptional artistic and literary talent!!!
Michelle Architectural Building
Lexie Hall Scholastics
Jielle Paul - Dramatic Light
January 25, 2018
Joan goes above and beyond for her students and our school. She is the sponsor of Student Government and is preparing for the annual “Senior Citizens Prom” on February 10 at 6:00 PM. She will enjoy driving a brand new Mercedes for the next year. Congratulations Joan! We love you!
January 23, 2018
Allee Coble set a new girls' basketball scoring record last night, breaking the record previously held by Taylor Griffith with 1,020 points.
January 18, 2018
Dr. Tibbetts announced the Super Seahawks for the 2nd nine weeks at the pep rally on Thursday, January 11.
Front row: Shannon Cole, Athlete; Kenna Betts, Junior; Grad Enslen, Junior; Josie Bekkers, Freshman; Fiona Morris, Sophomore; Spencer Eichberger, Freshman
Back row: Gracie Ricci, Senior; Hayden Stroop, Athlete; Robert Rietenbach, Senior; Sean Libby, Teacher; SRO Nick McMillian, Staff
January 11, 2018
We are proud to announce that Senior Maddie Hiers has been named the 2018 Taylor Haugen Trophy Award winner.
Pictured are Mr. Brian Haugen, Jerry, Maddie and Beth Hiers, and Mrs. Kathy Haugen.
December 12, 2017
Senior Engineering 1st Place—Fisher Marks ”Password Security” 2nd Place—Kirsi Midha “What is the effect of various soils when applying pressure in terms of bearing capacity?” 3rd Place—Nicholas Putnam, Jackson Weatherall and Seth Weinthal “How Can We Make Sea Turtle Lights More Accessible?”
Senior Biological 1st Place—Catherine Fields “Curing Acne” 3rd Place—Emma Marks “How do Vitamins Affect Germination of Radish Seeds?” Honorable Mention—Annajane Hohn “Fermentation Creation”
Senior Physical 2nd Place—Brandan McManus “What are the Effects of Tourism Rates on Student Populations in Walton County?” 3rd Place—Josie Bekkers “How Does Saltwater Affect Metals?” Honorable Mention—Riley Marshall “Electric Soil”
Senior Environmental 1st Place—Cameron Patrick Hughes “Lighter Concrete Worth the Price?” 3rd Place—Emily Kuni Biofilm
December 12, 2017
Superintendent Hughes stopped by Mrs. Kennett's biology class at SWHS and took a selfie with students as they were learning about Photosynthetic Tissue.
Mr. Hughes stated that "during the review, students didn't miss a single question! Wow! EPIC at its Best!"
Submitted by Keitha Bledsoe