April 9, 2018
Please complete the parent survey to help SHWS better prepare for next year.
April 6, 2018
Third and fourth graders at Butler Elementary got fired up to do their best on the upcoming FSA during a school pep rally on Friday! Highlights of the rally included cheers led by the SWHS Cheerleaders and our own Coach Davies, a pep talk from Mr. Drake, and a special video created by the SWHS Leadership Class.
Submitted by Tammy Smith
April 6, 2018
April 2, 2018
South Walton High School is celebrating School Library month!
The SWHS Media Center offers many resources. Students visit the library every month with their English classes to check out a book or e-book through Destiny. Our book displays of the newest books, career books, and even free books greet students as they enter the library.
Using our county access to the Gale Research databases, students can research thousands of resources at one time on available computers.
We also offer several different seating arrangements for quiet reading, study groups/book circles, or individual study.
The SWHS Media Center is even host to many college events for seniors that include meeting with recruitors in the fall and admissions labs in the spring.
April is a time to celebrate and reflect on all the ways to utilize our Media Center. Check out this short video of New York Times bestselling author, Jason Reynolds, as the 2018 Spokesperson for School Library Month.
At SWHS, we all promote life-long reading for enjoyment.
February 7, 2018
In an auditorium filled with family and friends, three Seahawk football players signed letters of intent to play football next year.
Tanner Kotowske signed with Maryville College, Daniel Leuze with Samford University and Bradley Robinson with Maryville College.
Joining them are football coaches Derrick Bumpers, Phil Tisa, Luke Hughes and Bruce Bates
SWHS Receives Grant from Walton Education Foundation for Most High School Participants in the Apple Classic Run
February 7, 2018
February 7, 2018
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are the nation’s longest-running and most prestigious recognition program for creative teens in grades 7–12.
This year, students submitted more than 330,000 works of visual art and writing to the Scholastic Awards; more than 90,000 works were recognized at the regional level and celebrated in local exhibitions and ceremonies. The top art and writing at the regional level were moved onto the national stage, where more than 2,700 works earned National Medals. National Medalists and their educators will be celebrated at the National Ceremony at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
National Medalist art and writing is displayed during the annual Art.Write.Now. National Exhibition in New York City. Last year the exhibit was on display at the Sheila C. Johnson Design Center at Parsons School of Design at The New School and at Pratt Institute’s Pratt Manhattan Gallery. We also hold ongoing exhibitions at the U.S. Department of Education and the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities through the Art.Write.Now.DC program. In addition, selections from the Art.Write.Now. National Exhibition are displayed in cities across the U.S. as part of the Art.Write.Now.Tour.
Here are the SWHS Southeast Region Awards for Scholastics:
Scholastics Art and Writing Awards 2018
South Walton HS
Teacher: V. Moreira Komando
- Jenna Adelman - Silver Key Art Portfolio Asian Pop Culture Foods South Walton High School
- Michelle Couvillon - Honorable Mention Photography My Eyes South Walton High School
- Summer Edwards - Honorable Mention Photography Geode South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Gold Key Photography Speed of light South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Silver Key Photography Shine South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Silver Key Photography Bug Out South Walton High School
- Meg Kirwan - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration The Storm South Walton High School
- Frida Licona - Honorable Mention Photography Light and Lines South Walton High School
- Sofia Papagni - Silver Key Painting Comfort #1 South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Digital Art Fracture South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Gold Key Photography Drama South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Photography Hawk Girl South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Photography Youth South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Silver Key Photography Thor South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Car Tire Red South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Raw Engine South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Red Truck South Walton High School
- Jennings Seton - Silver Key Photography Bloom South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Art Portfolio Starry Starry Night South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Photography Outer Bulge South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Photography Dividing Line South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Silver Key Photography Blue South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Silver Key Photography Yellow South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Art Portfolio Self Portrait South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration My Red Yellow Hair South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration My Flower with Hair South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Silver Key Drawing & Illustration My Deer Head South Walton High School
- Sofia Papagni - Silver Key Poetry Campfires, Caskets, Hurricanes South Walton High School
Congratulations to these creative young students and their exceptional artistic and literary talent!!!
Michelle Architectural Building
Lexie Hall Scholastics
Jielle Paul - Dramatic Light
January 25, 2018
Joan goes above and beyond for her students and our school. She is the sponsor of Student Government and is preparing for the annual “Senior Citizens Prom” on February 10 at 6:00 PM. She will enjoy driving a brand new Mercedes for the next year. Congratulations Joan! We love you!